Anti-Aging To Botox or To Not Botox

By Susan Guzman

I am 51 years old and each morning when I wake up and look in the mirror I see myself aging more and more.  I am often told by people that I look fantastic for my age, and although they are probably telling me the truth, I am my own worst critic and I examine every list detail (and line) in my face.

Lately though, I have come to the realization that it is what it is.  I am after all 51, soon to be in a few months 52.  I do exercise, I eat right (almost always anyway) and take very good care of myself.  I try to get enough rest, I drink gallons of water daily and make sure I do some form of exercise everyday. I take supplements such as Fish Oil and Evening Primrose Oil which I believe have significantly helped to improve the suppleness of my skin. I try to avoid the sun as much as possible.  That's a difficult one for me to do because I do love the outdoors, and I my favorite place to be is on the beach.  Even still, I do take care to wear sunscreen and not to bake in the sun for hours on end.  Most  recently I learned to sleep on my back because I read somewhere that sleeping on your stomach all night will cause you to have more wrinkles.  I find this to be true.

All in all, if I was to look at myself in a less judgmental way, I would have to say compared to some other women I see who are my age I do look pretty damn good.  I think there are more ways than just not having lines on your face to give the appearance of looking younger than your years.

I would say the number one way to look younger than you are is to stay in good physical condition.  Do not under any circumstances become overweight.  First of all, being overweight will add years to your appearance.  Being overweight will cause health issues which in turn will age you.  The way your carry yourself will be affected.  The clothes you wear will show either that you are hiding your body, or that you are overweight.  Being in tip top physical condition will add pep to your step, you will have more energy to do the things you love to do which in turn will make you feel good about yourself.

So your face may not look 18 any longer, but realistically do we want to look 18?   I for one want to look my age, I want to dress age appropriate, but yet I want to feel proud that I look great for 51.  I don't feel that having botox or a facelift is fooling anyone.  You can spot the look of cosmetic surgery from a mile away.  The face is always changed, even if its the slightest different.

I want to be accepted for who I am, and not just what I look like.  Yes looks mean a great deal to me.  I like a great hairstyle and color, I like being slender and firm, I like wearing nice clothes, but I for one draw the line there.  I have come across a very interesting article which resonated with my feelings on growing older gracefully that I think you may enjoy.http://truthinaging.com/treatments/good-news-on-the-anti-aging-front

Comments

Popular Posts